A Filipino Developers Community

binding ip addresses to a single machine

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 15
Points 485
ladyannebug Posted: 11-07-2006 7:27 PM
hi! can anyone tell me how to bind 2 ip addresses in one machine? lets say i have a test server with ip address 111.111.111.1.. i have to run two application servers (domino server and websphere app server) on it.. in order for them to run on the same port (80), i need to bind a secondary ip address 111.111.1.2 to the machine..  a friend suggested to use either of these 2 ways: (1) hosts file and (2) dns..  but i cant find any resources on the net that discusses its "how-to"...

any advice will be appreciated.. i needed it badly.. btw, im a java programmer and have no knwledge of these configurations whatsoever.. thnx in advnce..
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed is by accident. That's where we come in: We're computer professionals, we cause accidents!
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 10,775
Is this the one you're lookign for? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/deploy/confeat/12wntpcb.mspx?mfr=true?

btw, asl? :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,038
Points 42,045

ladyannebug:
hi! can anyone tell me how to bind 2 ip addresses in one machine? lets say i have a test server with ip address 111.111.111.1.. i have to run two application servers (domino server and websphere app server) on it.. in order for them to run on the same port (80), i need to bind a secondary ip address 111.111.1.2 to the machine..  a friend suggested to use either of these 2 ways: (1) hosts file and (2) dns..  but i cant find any resources on the net that discusses its "how-to"...

any advice will be appreciated.. i needed it badly.. btw, im a java programmer and have no knwledge of these configurations whatsoever.. thnx in advnce..

Here's some great tips about using host files>> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

devpinoy sig

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 15
Points 485
modchip, ive checked out your link and found out that assigning multiple ip addresses to one machine using a single network adapter card (like in my case) will require relays.. so there will be switching of ip addresses from time to time..
i need them running at the same time..

ok, ill repeat the problem: i have a single machine with one network adapter card.. i have domino server and websphere server running on it.. the domino server is running on port 80(default) while the websphere runs on port 8080.. so for domino apps to be accessed, you need to type: http:\\xxx.xxx.x.x\<domino_app>.. and for websphere apps, you need to type this: http:\\xxx.xxx.x.x:8080\<websphere_app>.. my problem is i need to elimnate typing of port number 8080 to run a websphere application.. do you know a way to solve this..?

thanks poh for the help..
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed is by accident. That's where we come in: We're computer professionals, we cause accidents!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 15
Points 485
keithrull, i forgot to mention im using windows server 2003.. as ive told modchip, i NOW have doubts of using two addresses since i only have one network adpter card so it will require switching between these addresses. (am i right?!)

ill try to explain my problem as much as i can.. here we go: i have a single machine with one network adapter card.. i have domino server and websphere server running on it.. the domino server is running on port 80(default) while the websphere runs on port 8080.. so for domino apps to be accessed, you need to type: http:\\xxx.xxx.x.x\<domino_app>.. and for websphere apps, you need to type this: http:\\xxx.xxx.x.x:8080\<websphere_app>.. my problem is i need to elimnate typing of port number 8080 to run a websphere application..

if you have other suggestions/solutions, kindly tell me.. thanks a lot dude! ;p
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 882
Points 13,565
Hmmm... I dunno if your problem was similar to what I had before... I only used Tomcat, never got my hands dirty with Websphere so far... In Tomcat I used mod_jk to forward all request to Apache web server first and then AWS would relay all the servlet and JSP request to Tomcat on a certain port. I can't remember how I got through that hell but it was very rewarding in the end. :)

[]{""Become Rich",  "Java Blog"};

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 15
Points 485
Im also using Tomcat, the one that was bundled in Netbeans IDE.. But we use Websphere App Server to deploy just the war file of the application..

Well anyways, I finally got the hell out of it.. We resolved to doing configurations on the Domino Server, way too easier than deciphering those on the networking side (hosts files, port forwarding etc.)... We applied some web site rules on the Domino Server config that will forward a request to a certain url upon matching url patterns.. It worked out well but I was unsure if this solution will be as effective when 10 or more Websphere applications will be deployed on that server in time.. But at least it was settled for the meantime.. Stick out tongue

Thanks a lot..
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 23
Points 295
Hi...good to hear you were able to resolve this.  There are a lot of ways to do it. URL redirection (like what you did) works fine although management-wise will be very difficult.  Another way is to talk to your network guys to configure a DNS pointer to an IP:port number.  Another way is to assign multiple IPs on a single network adapter and assign each web application/URL a specific IP
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 15
Points 485
Yep.. i agree with you that it would be hard to maintain URL redirection for such case.. Since every java web application that will b added would require another domino server web site ruling addition.. Your second option would be taken into consideration any moment a problem would arise w/ the current set-up.. The third one, as ive read, would enjoin relays or switching between ip addresses for a certain interval, which i think wont address the issue for we need both these ip addresses up.. Am i right on this? or is there another way around to configure multiple ips?  Well yeah, im a bit bird-brained on this field..Crying

Thanks a lot for your help! Big Smile
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 23
Points 295
It would be best if you could specify your WebSphere and Domino versions.  The third option you are mentioning does not require switching between IPs as these will be assigned as static IPs on a single NIC (this is our current setup)
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Copyright DevPinoy 2005-2008