Truly, in life... There is no shortcut. And the same rule applies to me. I just came from a very exhausting interview today and I was asked about several things about Java technology tools which I don't have experience with and SQL Performance Tuning.  The most frustrating question though was when I was asked about SQL. And what about SQL you might say? Listen to my story..

In a scale of 1-10, how would you rate yourself in SQL? I was confident enough that time to give myself an 8. I can write from simple SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE to using JOINS, and perhaps some stored procedures, views and SQL scripts. I was asked about an Execution Plan. What the hell? Execution plan? I didn't know... Darn... My interviewer told me that if I gave myself an 8 then I should atleast know about this. I guess he was right, wasn't he? It was a good lesson for me not to be overconfident over simple stuff like SQL. There are indeed a lot of things that I still need to know. I was also asked about indexes which I already heard before but didn't do much reading upon. I wanted to tell him I wasn't applying for a database administrator position but I just kept my mouth shut to avoid any commotion. Lolz!

This is not the time to feel disappointed so I invite you to learn these things if you don't already know about these stuff yourself. Don't worry. We'll get better. Wink

Some useful links

SQL Tuning Tutorial - Understanding a Database Execution Plan
Database Index

You might also want to know that the standard chartered bank is a Bank and not a kind of Bank. Hahaha!

Published 09-20-2007 4:48 AM by lamia
Filed under: ,

Comments

Friday, September 21, 2007 2:53 PM by lamer

# re: Database Execution Plan and Database Indexing - Two things your mama probably didn't tell you

You are an over confident fool!

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:27 AM by msJen

so what job did you applied there

Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:19 AM by lamia

Hahaha! Oh yes, I was really an overconfident fool. I tried to apply of course as a Java Software Developer. But I did learn my lesson. It was a good experience. ;)

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:32 AM by jokiz

yes he was right.  i'd rate myself just 3 if i only know the same thing.  re: standard chartered, weird.

Monday, September 24, 2007 11:40 AM by keithrull

Good point Jokiz. One of the things that strikes me whenever i interview someone for a position is how people add big words to their resume like "Expert" and  "Advance" . Whenever is see this things i see to it that I ask them Expert or Advance questions regarding that technology. For example, there was this one guy who said that he was an expert on SQL and that he can write 100s of lines of complicated stored procedures since he knows every in's and outs of SQL Server so I asked him what so I ended up asking him to explain to me what does a "Naive Nested-loop join" mean in SQL Server.. his jaw dropped. Next, I asked him why transactions in SQL Server needs to be ACID and what ACID means... pretty basic stuff. but he can't answer.

I always level myself lower than what I think I am because being humble can add value to you especially when they ask you advance stuff that they don't expect you to be able to answer.

Monday, September 24, 2007 8:37 PM by lamia

Thanks. I'll be sure to remember this for the rest of my career and apply it to my personality. Thanks guys! ;)