A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET

We are currently using Gemini here for our issue tracking and we love it eversince we had it installed in our server but this joy of Gemini has not stopped us from searching a better alternative because there are things that we don't like about it(specially that cost part of the software). That lead me to scour the web to find alternatives that we might consider in the future as a viable replacement for our long trusted Gemini. to my surprise I only found 4 open source ASP.NET bug tracking solution compared to the gargantuan list that I saw for PHP. Below are the 4 applications that I found and my comment about each project.

BugTrack

BugTrack looks like an application taken out of somebody's book. It's very minimal but it can support the basic issue tracking needs of a small team(i mean really small team).

Features:

• Search by Project, Assigned Person, Priority, Status
  • Sorting by any of the columns (Bug Name, Project, Priority, Assigned Person, Status)
  • Administration of Users
  • Administration of Priorities
  • Administration of Projects
  • Administration of Statuses

Microsoft Issue Tracker Starter Kit

The Issue Tracker Starter Kit application looks nicer than BugTrack(I guess because of the UI design) but it still in the same line of non-prodcution ready application(because it's a sample). It is not something that you should consider for production environment unless you modify it to the extent that it's not the same software anymore after you completely overhaul the application.

Features:

Create Projects

• Define project name and description
  • Create issue categories and custom fields
  • Add project members and permissions

Create and Track Issues

• Assign issue owners and add notes
  • Track issue status, related issues and history
  • Query and sort issues using a boolean search

BugTracker.NET

BugTracker.NET to me seems to be most stable of the 4 I have reviewed. The project has been around for 5 years now with 141 commits to their CVS, 51 releases and only 36 bugs open out of the 517 which existed. This shows that the app is in active development(99.99 percent activity) even if there is only 1 developer(Corey Trager). The feature list is whopping crazy too. There are 2 features I like most with this application. First is it's inclusion of a screen capture utility that enables you to cpature the screen, add anotations and post it as bug in just a few clicks. The second feature i love is the fact that it can integrate with your Subversion repository so that you can associate file revision checkins with bugs. This feature is pretty important to us since we use Subversion here.  There's alot of nice features integrated with application and I have just handpicked a couple of them and listed them below.

Features:

• Suitable for tracking helpdesk customer support tickets as well as software bugs.
  • Sending and receiving emails is integrated with the tracker, so that the email thread about a bug is tracked WITH the bug.
  • Allows incoming emails to be recorded as bugs. So, for example, an email from your customer could automatically be turned into an bug/ticket in the tracker.
  • Allows you to attach files and screenshots to bugs. There is even a custom screen capture utility that lets you take a screenshot, annotate it, and post it as a bug with just a few clicks. (inspired by Fogbugz)
  • Custom bug lists, filtered and sorted the way you want, with the columns that you want.
  • Define your own statuses and workflow, or use with the simple one it installs with.
  • You can display bugs of a certain priority and/or status in a different color, so that the most important items grab your attention.

To view all the features of BugTracker.NET please go to it's official website.

BugTracker.NET is one sweet application that can make you drool after installing and using it.

BugNET

To me, this is a really really promising application. It has all the intagibles that makes a great issue tracking and project management software suceed(just look at the screenshots and see for yourself). It has an active community and a large user base with an active developer(Davin Dubeau) trying to make great software even greater. The only thing i wish this project has is great documentation(which is acceptable because theres only 1 man running the show) but that lost is offset by the great forum support that they have in place on their official web site but the official site loads pretty slow too(considering that I have dual T1's) which is probably a hosting issue.

Below is a list of features available in BugNET

Project Management
  • Multiple project support.
  • Multiple categories / versions can be associated with a project.
  • Time tracking allows reporting by issue.
  • Change log shows which issues have been completed for a version.
  • Issue reporting by email parsing.
  • Project Summary shows overview of issues by project.
  • Ability to custom sort and search issues via filters.
  • Roadmap shows issue progress and to be completed by project.
  • Reports show project metrics.

Issue Management

• Details view of issues.
  • Detailed issue history of changes.
  • Attach files to issues.
  • Ability to post comments against an issue.
  • Issue linking.
  • Change notification monitoring.
  • Custom fields allow custom attributes to be added to issues.

Security

• Forms or Windows (Active Directory / SAM) authentication.
  • Custom user / roles / permission system configurable per project.

If you ask me right now which application i would choose between BugTracker.NET and BugNET(yes, i'm excluding the kiddie softwares) I'd probably choose BugTracker.NET for now because of it's current featureset. BugNET would be a close second because of the future I see for this application. I think BugNET would be ready for primetime in the next few months something that I hope that happens really soon.

Posted 11-02-2007 12:32 PM by keithrull

Comments

jokiz wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-02-2007 6:59 PM

jira is worth the cost for a company in my opinion

lamia wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-03-2007 5:53 AM

I've only used two issue tracking system in my whole career. Mantis and AQDevteam. Mantis is opensource and I think I was satisfied. Although my former team lead said that it misses a lot of things(I don't know which). AQDevteam, although commercial, has a lot of stupidity involved. I would rather look for other alternatives than to use this piece of junk again!

Corey Trager wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-03-2007 9:23 AM

I'm the author of BugTracker.NET.   Just FYI, the next version, 2.6.0, which I'll post today or tomorrow, has as its focus more Subversion integration improvements.

I would be very interested to hear what you like BETTER about BugNet than BugTracker.NET.

Also, folks might find my blog about bug trackers interesting, at http://ifdefined.com/blog.

Bug Tracker Blog wrote Other comparisons of issue trackers
on 11-03-2007 9:29 AM

Other comparisons of issue trackers

keithrull wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-03-2007 10:14 AM

@jokiz: JIRA is a really great application. My wife used to use it and she thinks its a great application. i personally would chose FogBuz over JIRA.

@Lamia:  What do you mean by 'stuipidity involved with AQDevTeam'? I haven't had the chance to use it and i'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

@Corey: Thanks for posting a comment! I love BugTracker.NET and I believe its the ideal solution for teams that are looking for an opensource alternative to cost-oriented issue trackers. Featurewise, BugTracker.NET looks more complete than BugNET because of its 5 year maturity period. BugNET is a promising software with similar toolset to BugTracker.NET.  I'll have a better comparisson chart in a few days of things i like(and dislike) between BugTracker.NET and BugNET.

Bug Tracker Blog wrote Other comparisons of issue trackers
on 11-03-2007 6:53 PM

Other comparisons of issue trackers

Garri wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-05-2007 9:05 PM

yeah! JIRA looks pretty cool ^^ I never tried any .NET Bug Tracking Software yet I have only tried Trac and browse JIRA.

lamia wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-07-2007 5:39 AM

@Keith

Well, the only thing I really hate about it is when you're putting notes... There's this caption where it says...

"Don't edit this text"

But the textfield is editable.

The Ticket numbers, sometimes also don't get completed due to some windowing errors. I don't know if there's a web interface for it, but we're using a windowed version. Opinions could vary though, you can try it yourself and see if you like it. :)

Andy wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 01-02-2008 5:36 AM

Try Projistics Bug Tracker. It is a very powerfull and user friendly tool.

Ankit wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 01-03-2008 8:35 PM

We have been using Projistics BugTracker, and are preety satisfied.

Apart from good features, its usability is its positive point.

Vu Nguyen wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 01-11-2008 3:26 PM

Vu Nguyen's Blog wrote Get a open source ASP.NET bug tracking software
on 01-11-2008 3:46 PM

Get a open source ASP.NET bug tracking software

Stewart Moss wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 02-13-2008 10:43 PM

BugNet is a great tool.

Ryan Garaygay wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 03-22-2008 7:36 PM

Good review.

Used Bugtracker.Net in a company I previously worked for and we had a good experience with it as far as usage is concerned. I wasn't doing the installation then but I've heard a lot of good reviews on it too. And besides, we had a separate installation per project (and we did have a good share of projects) so it must have been that easy.

Renz Ticsay wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 05-28-2008 11:13 PM

Thanks for your review. I'll check out BugNet and BugTracker.NET.

Any review updates for these 2 softwares?

bob wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 06-02-2008 12:45 PM

V3rOOY hi great site nice work thanks http://peace.com

Celebrity wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 06-12-2008 12:19 PM

excellent read.

realtor wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 06-17-2008 10:26 AM

good site

Jason wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 09-23-2008 2:03 AM

Great tool which give all product lifecycle including requiremnets, tests and ofcourse bugs is informup.

We are using it for few month and it is really great with very low price (they are giving 2 users for free but we are more in our team. cost us less than 300$ for 10 users)

link to the site: http://www.informup.com

Enjoy:-)

SMS Alerts wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 10-04-2008 11:52 AM

Very nice! Thanks for the share, i'll be sure to put the information into use. Keep the good blog posts coming!

Travel wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 10-11-2008 7:30 PM

BugTrack, i will look into that, great post.

computer ebook wrote re: A Comparisson Of Open Source Bug Tracking Softwares in ASP.NET
on 11-11-2008 9:49 AM