TDD is about design; tests are just side effects
codebetter.com was down earlier. Dunno why. Anyway, when it went back up I went through some of the posts by Scott Bellware. The following stuff got my attention:

Debunking Microsoft's Guidelines for Test-Driven Development

and

Microsoft Takes It on the Chin over Test-Driven Development

Fairly old material, but still as relevant today as it ever was. Fascinating thing about TDD is that you think you know it already but everyday you use it you get to learn more. You see with your own eyes how you learn to design classes the right (and flexible) way, in contrast to the old code-first/test-later approach.

Interesting quote from Scott Bellware here:

"Testing is a side effect. Design is the goal of TDD, design for testability flows naturally from there, followed by de-coupling, and reusability."

Very well said. It takes doing TDD head-first in order to appreciate how it opens up your designs.

Posted 08-25-2006 12:44 PM by cruizer
Filed under: ,

Comments

LaTtEX wrote re: TDD is about design; tests are just side effects
on 08-25-2006 8:17 AM

Nice post bushing. However, a year after hearing about TDD (from you of course), I still have to learn it. :(

cruizer wrote re: TDD is about design; tests are just side effects
on 08-25-2006 5:40 PM

I am still learning more and more about it. Usap tayo sometime :) and like what I said, just do it...head-first, not feet-first.

jokiz wrote re: TDD is about design; tests are just side effects
on 08-27-2006 11:51 PM

isama na maraming developers sa usapang yan...

DotNET @ Kape Ni LaTtEX » Blog Archive » When TDD goes red wrote DotNET @ Kape Ni LaTtEX » Blog Archive » When TDD goes red
on 08-09-2007 4:36 AM

Pingback from  DotNET @ Kape Ni LaTtEX  » Blog Archive   » When TDD goes red

cruizer wrote TDD Step by Step, Part 1
on 11-24-2008 7:06 PM

In a hot discussion thread in msforums.ph about the value of unit testing and adopting test-driven development

cruizer wrote TDD Step by Step, Part 1
on 11-24-2008 7:07 PM

Drinking .NET with LaTtEX wrote Repeat after me: Test Driven Development is about design, NOT testing!
on 02-04-2009 9:55 PM

A few weeks back while listening to .NET Rocks Episode 408 , I cringed so badly when I started hearing